Question: What should I do if an employee moves to a different state and will be working from there?

Answer: There are several things you need to do if an employee moves out of state. First, if you don’t already have other employees there, you’ll need to set up payroll tax accounts in the new state. The state in which the employee physically works is the state used for state income tax withholding, unemployment tax contributions, and the like.

Secondly, you will need to update your employee handbook with any new state laws that apply. This is typically done with a state-specific addendum. Provide the updated handbook to the employee. If this is something that you need assistance with, Highflyer can help. Click here to schedule a time to get started

Next, review that state’s new hire paperwork requirements. Update forms used if necessary.

Additionally, you will need to provide the employee with any required employment law posters for that state.

Lastly, notify your workers’ compensation carrier and your health insurance carrier, if applicable.